Representive Chinese Formulas and Patent Medicines
From hundreds of typical prescriptions (and Chinese patent medicines) commonly used in TCM, I picked 10 representative formulas in my top list according to their popularity, availability, and great broader scope of application to diseases pertain to organ channels such as the lung, heart, spleen and stomach, liver and gallbladder, kidney, urinary and genital system, underlying imbalance or disorders of qi, blood and body fluid. Read more.
Here a list of available Chinese patent remedies provides the convenience of purchase.
1. Yin Qiao San, Yin Qiao Jie Du Pian
Original formula: Yin Qiao San (Powder of Lonicera and Forsythis, Honeysuckle and Forsythia Powder)
Related product: Yin Qiao Jie Du Pian (Wan), Detoxicant Tablet (Pill) of Lonicera and Forsythia), Yinchiao Tablet
- Yinchiao Tablet (银翘解毒片) release the exterior and relieve the discomfort caused by the attack of wind or wind-heat, marked as fever or cold with fever, headache, cough, thirst, sore throat.
- Derivative Cold Remedy Soothing Tablet (维C银翘片) for exterior pattern of wind-heat attack, influenza caused by affection of exogenous wind-heat manifested as fever, headache, coughing, dry mouth and sore throat.
2. Long Dan Xie Gan Tang, Long Dan Xie Gan Wan
Original formula: Long Dan Xie Gan Tang (Decoction of Gentian for Purging Liver Fire, Gentian Liver-purging Decoction)
Related product: Long Dan Xie Gan Wan, Gentanae Tea Pill
- Gentanae Tea Pill (龙胆泻肝丸) for upward attack of excessive fire in the liver and gallbladder or downward flow of damp-heat from the liver meridian, manifested as dizziness and red eye, tinnitus and deafness, swelling and pain of ear, hypochondriac pain and bitter taste in the mouth, slow and painful discharge of dark-colored urine, and dampness-heat in vaginal discharge.
3. Xiao Yao San (Xiao Yao Wan)
Original formula: Xiao Yao San (Ease Powder)
Related product: Xiao Yao Wan (Ease Pill), Relaxx Extract
Modifications of Xiao Yao San: Jiao Wei Xiao Yao San (Wan), Dan Zhi Xiao Yao San (Wan)
- Relaxx Plus Extract (加味逍遥丸) liver depression and spleen deficiency marked by hypochondriac pain, headache, dizziness, poor appetite, and menstrual irregularities; heat converted from stagnated liver-qi manifesting red face, bitter taste in the mouth.
- Relaxx Extract, Ease Pills (逍遥丸) for depression and discomfort, distending pain in the chest and the hypochondrium, dizziness, reduced appetite, and menstrual irregularities caused by liver depression and spleen deficiency.
4. Xiao Chai Hu Tang (Xiao Chai Hu Wan)
Original formula: Xiao Chai Hu Tang (Minor Decoction of Bupleurum)
Related product: Xiao Chai Hu Wan, Minor Pill of Bupleurum, Heparex Extract, xiao chaihu chongji (Bupleurum Granule for Shaoyang Syndrome)
- Heparex Extract (小柴胡汤丸) soothe the liver and harmonize the stomach for pattern of exogenous cold and heat invading lessor yang channel, manifested as alternating chills and fever, fullness in the chest and rib, poor appetite, vexation, vomiting, bitter taste in the mouth, and dry throat.
- Bupleurum Granule (小柴胡颗粒) soothe the liver and harmonize the stomach for pattern of exogenous cold and heat invading lessor yang channel, manifested as alternating chills and fever, fullness in the chest and rib, poor appetite, vexation, vomiting, bitter taste in the mouth, and dry throat.
5. Bu Zhong Yi Qi Tang (Bu Zhong Yi Qi Wan)
Original formula: Bu Zhong Yi Qi Tang (Decoction for Reinforcing Middle-energizer and Replenishing Qi)
Related products: Bu Zhong Yi Qi Wan, Invigorator Tea Pills
- Invigorator Tea Pill (补中益气丸) for diarrhea, prolapse of the rectum, prolapse of the uterus, caused by weakness of spleen-stomach and sinking of middle qi, manifested as fatigue, lack of strength, poor appetite, abdominal distension, sloppy stool, long lasting diarrhea, anus sagging or prolapse of the rectum, and uterine prolapse.
- Derivative Ear-eye Comfort (益气聪明丸) for long-term Middle Jiao Qi deficiency with visual and aural disturbances, marked by pterygium, tinnitus, hearing loss, diminished visual and aural acuity, blurred vision, abdominal pain dizziness, lightheadedness, anorexia, spontaneous sweating, chronic diarrhea; Meniere's disease and osteoporosis pertaining deficiency of spleen qi and deficiency of kidney yin.
6. Ba Zhen Tang (Ba Zhen Wan)
Original formula: Ba Zhen Tang (Decoction of Eight Precious Ingredients)
Related product: Ba Zhen Wan, Pill of Eight Precious Ingredients, Restorex Tea Pill
Modification of Ba Zhen Tang: Ba Zhen Yi Mu Tang, Shi Quan Da Bu Tang
- Restorex Tea Pill (八珍汤) for pattern of dual deficiency of qi and blood, manifested as sallow complexion, poor appetite, lack of strength of the limbs, and heavy menstruation.
- The Four Noble Extract (四君子丸) for spleen-stomach qi deficiency pattern manifested as poor appetite, reduced food intake, and diarrhea.
- Six Noble Combination (六君子丸) for the stomach and spleen-qi deficiency syndrome, concomitant with phlegm and dampness manifested as bloating and fullness, pain in the stomach and abdomen, eructation, vomiting and diarrhea.
- Ten Flavor Tea Extract (十全大补丸) for pattern of dual deficiency of heart qi and blood manifested as pale complexion, shortness of breath, palpitation, dizziness, spontaneous sweating, fatigue, lack of strength, cold limbs, and heavy menstruation.
Shen Qi Wan (Jin Gui Shen Qi Wan, Kidney Qi Pill from the Golden Cabinet)
Related product: Gui Fu Di Huang Wan, Ba Wei Shen Qi Wan, Golden Book Herbal Extract
Modification of Shen Qi Wan: Liu Wei Di Huang Wan
- liu wei di huang wan 六味地黄丸, for kidney yin deficiency marked by dizziness, tinnitus, aching and limpness of loins and knees, night sweating, seminal emission, and consumptive thirst. Derivative Auricularex Pill 耳鸣丸
- zhi bai di huang wan 知柏地黄丸 Yin deficiency with fire effulgence pattern manifested as tidal fever, night sweating, dry mouth, sore throat, tinnitus, seminal emission, and short voiding of dark urine.
- Lycii Chrysanthemum Rehmanni Extract 杞菊地黄丸 for yin deficiency of liver and kidney, photophobia and intolerance of light, tearing with the wind and blurred vision.
- jin gui shen qi wan 金匮肾气丸 Kidney yang deficiency, cold soreness in the low back and knees, puffy swelling of the limbs, inhibited urination or frequent urination, phlegm-fluid retention, cough and panting, wasting-thirst.
- mai wei di huang wan 麦味地黄丸 for deficiency of yin of the lung and the kidney marked by tidal fever, night sweating, dryness of the throat, cough with thin sputum, hemoptysis, dizziness, tinnitus, wasting thirst.
- Sensor Tea Extract 耳鸣左慈丸 for liver-kidney yin deficiency, deafness, tinnitus, dizziness and vertigo.
8. Shen Ling Bai Zhu San (Shen Long Bai Zhu Wan)
Shen Ling Bai Zhu San (Powder of Ginseng, Poria and Bighead Atractylodes)
Related product: Shen Ling Bai Zhu Wan, Pill of Ginseng, Poria and Bighead Atractylodes)
- Codonopsis Root Combination 参苓白术片 for qi deficiency of the spleen and stomach concomitant with dampness, marked by lassitude of the extremities, general debility, dyspepsia, vomiting or diarrhea, chest distress and epigastric fullness, sallow complexion.
- Glehnia and Poria Combo 参苓健脾胃颗粒 for spleen-stomach weakness, reduced food intake, sloppy stool, short of breath, cough, fatigue, lack of strength. The first choice for kids.
9. Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang (Xue Fu Zhu Yu Wan)
Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang (Decoction for Removing Blood Stasis in the Chest)
Related product: Xue Fu Zhu Yu Wan, Pill for Removing Blood Stasis in the Chest, Circulation Plus Decoction
- Walnut and Safflower Combo Decoction (血府逐瘀汤) for chest impediment, headache for a long time, needle-like localized pain, internal heat and vexation and agitation, palpitation and insomnia, impetuosity and tantrum.
- Five-Tenths Decoction （补阳还五汤） for the pattern of qi deficiency with blood stasis, sequelae of apoplexy, marked by hemiplegia, deviation of the eye and mouth, intricate and obscure speech, involuntary drooling, atrophy and disability of lower limbs, frequent urination or involuntary enuresis, deep-red tongue with thin whitish fur, and slow pulse.
- Peony and Walnut Combo Decoction (桃红四物汤) for the pattern of blood deficiency with blood stasis, preceded menstrual cycle, menorrhagia with purple in color, ropy, or with some masses, abdominal pain and distension.
10. Du Huo Ji Sheng Tang (Du Huo Ji Sheng Wan)
Du Huo Ji Sheng Tang (Decoction of Pubescent Angelica and Loranthus)
Related product: Du Huo Ji Sheng Wan, Pubescent Angelica and Loranthus Pill, Angelica Combination Tea Extract
Modification of Du Huo Ji Sheng Tang: San Bi Tang
- Angelica Combo Tea Extract 独活寄生丸 for chronic bi-syndrome with deficiency of both the liver and kidney and insufficient qi and blood, marked by pain of the waist and knees, limited movement or numbness of joints, aversion to clod with preference for warmth, palpitation and short breath.
- Circulate Herbs Decoction (三痹汤) for obstruction of meridians caused by attacks of wind, cold and dampness due to deficiency of qi and blood, manifested as contraction (spasms) of the hands and feet, joint pain with difficulty in movement.